Dr. Lorraine RuffingApril 8, 2023 2023-07-15 15:39
Ph.D. in Trade and Development, Columbia University
MA in Economics, Columbia University
BA in Economics, Catholic University, Washington, DC
Positions held United Nations
- UN Economic Commission for Europe (Geneva) 1981-87
- UN Centre on Transnational Corporations (New York) 1987-93
- UN Development Programme (Uzbekistan) 1993-1995
- UN Conference on Trade and Development (Geneva) 1995-2003
Other International Organizations
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (Paris) 2008-2014
- Accionen Venezuela (Caracas) 1968-1969
- St. Mary’s University, Halifax, Canada
- Dine Policy Institute, Tsaile, Arizona
- University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
- Adelphi University, Long Island City, NY
- Webster University/Occidental College, Geneva
- University of New Mexico, Albuquerque
- US Senate, American Indian Policy Review Commission, Task Force Seven,
- Reservation Development and Resource Protection
Technical Cooperation Projects
Accounting reform and retraining in Uzbekistan
- Accounting reform in Azerbaijan
- Audit training in Azerbaijan
- Accounting reform in Russian Federation
- Women entrepreneurs in ten LDCs
- Growing SMEs in LDCs
- Public-private sector dialogue in LDCs
- EMPRETEC: entrepreneurship development in 31 developing countries
- Mediterranean 2000: SME development in ten countries
- Annual Review of United Nations Affairs, Commentary on the Economic and Social Council Activities, Oxford University Press, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.
- “Lessons from the UN Centre on Transnational Corporations for the Current Treaty Initiative”, in Building a Treaty on Business and Human Rights, Surya Deva and Daivd Bilchitz eds, Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- United Nations Centre on Transnational Corporations: Corporate conduct and the public interest with Khalil Hamdani, Rutledge Press, London, 2015.
- Financing SMEs and Entrepreneurs: An OECD Scoreboard, OECD, Paris 2011, 2012, 2013.
- Entrepreneurship Policy Framework and Implementation Guidance, UNCTAD, Geneva, 2012.
- Impact of the Global Crisis on SME Entrepreneurship Financing and Policy Responses, OECD, Paris, 2009.
- Enhancing the role of SMEs in Global Value Chains, UNCTAD, Geneva, 2009.
- ISAR 25 years of Promoting Financial Transparency, UNCTAD, Geneva, 2009.
- Enhancing the Role of SMEs in Global Value Chains, OECD, Paris, 2008.
- Silent vs. Shadow Reporting: What can we learn from BP’s Sustainability Report Vs. the Financial Times, CESAR, 2007.
- Investment Guide for Uzbekistan, UNDP, Uzbekistan, 1995 and 2007.
- Corporate governance and corporate social responsibility, course material for Open University Business School, Milton Keynes, UK 2005.
- Business linkages, foreign direct investment and meeting the millennium goals, Small Enterprise Development Journal, Dec. 2005.
Areas of expertise
- Corporate governance and corporate social responsibility
- International accounting: harmonization issues
- Private sector development: development of small and medium sized enterprises through business linkages
- Financing of small and medium sized enterprises
- Twenty years’ experience with economies in transition
- Seven years’ experience in living and working in developing countries: Chile, Mexico, Venezuela, Uzbekistan
Awards & Achievement
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Who’s who in American Universities
- World Association of Small and Medium Entrepreneurs, Special Honor Award